Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Bike snob.....

Okay, yeah, some people would think I am a bike snob - like my wife. She thinks I'm a bike snob because I won't ride a road bike with anything less than Shimano 105 on it, preferably Ultegra.....and if I can get Dura Ace, I'm on it. And, of course, the ultimate - Campagnolo Record. To be totally honest, I don't really care - I just act like I really care. And yes, I think it is fun to have new equipment, nice equipment, equipment that is both light and efficient. Let's face it - that stuff is fun when you're a cyclist. I remember the first time I ever tried index shifting - what magic!! But ultimately, I just like to ride bicycles.

To me, a bike snob is not someone who likes to ride good equipment. To me, a bike snob is this: You go out for a ride, you see a fellow cyclist coming the other way, you wave to him or her - and they either ignore you, or see you wave and look the other way(in other words, ignore you!). That, to me, is a bike snob. I wave to all cyclists out there - commuters, racers, mountain bikers, tourers, recumbants - just everyone. I feel a type of fellowship with my fellow riders......makes sense, doesn't it?? If someone says HI to you on the street, do you just ignore them?

Right now, I'm hitting about 60% on my waves back......which means 40% of you might be considered bike snobs in my book.....except for the ones who truly didn't see me wave, or were so stunned to see a cyclist wave they about fell off their bikes. Here's the funny part - I'm at 100% with the cars I wave to(no, it doesn't happen often, but when I do happen to wave at them, they wave back.....very odd).

Okay, that's my daily rant for today. Time to move on........