Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Tom Spinner.....

Tonight is Tom's Spinning class at the gym. Call me crazy, but I just love those classes. He's got the 2005 Tour de France DVD playing on the GIANT screen television, and he has us doing standing hill climbs for 45 minutes straight while the sound system is generating music I would never listen to in a million years. However, there's just something satisfying about taking these classes twice a week. They're just fun. And the thing of it is, Tom himself is a cyclist - he's been in the sport for over 30 years straight. He's one of the only guys I talk to on a regular basis who remember having to nail your cleats to the bottom of your shoes - or using Cateye cloth tape - or wearing wool shorts and jerseys. And helmets?? You might as well have been wearing a baseball hat, because the hairnets we had didn't protect jack. So, yes, Spinning class - at least for me - is a fun experience and one of the many many reasons why I love cycling so much. And you know, I'm glad I'm no longer a retro-grouch - the new stuff nowadays just rules!!!