Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Teammates.......

I was watching some coverage last night of one of the past Tours de France......think it was '04 or '05(uh.....maybe I should rephrase that - 2004 or 2005!) and Paul Sherwen was talking about how cycling is a "team" sport. The teammates of a leader in a race like the Tour protect him, surround him, set him up for good performance, etc. In short, in the Tour, they work for him.....their team leader.

Well, on our level, we still work for our team and our designated leader for a particular race. But I have to tell you, that's only a portion of it. We spend a lot of time on our bikes - many times alone. It's hard to imagine that cycling can be a team sport. But, when you get to a race, event or some big ride with your teammates there........I don't know........it's like a feeling of relief. It's like you have some family there.

I love being on a team, even though I race about as much as my newborn niece. Still, it feels good to go to a race or a ride and hang out with the "family"........our team. I'm one of those people who really enjoys helping out my teammates at races - pinning numbers, making sure they have everything, looking out for their well-being, etc. It provides a tremendous feeling of satisfaction.......so, in that respect, it's for selfish reasons I do it! Obviously, it goes beyond that though - I like hanging out with them, getting to know them, making new friends and talking about the thing we all love - cycling. And although we're out on the road alone many times, it's a great feeling knowing that we have some teammates waiting for us at the finish line - to share battle stories, unusual things going on with our bikes, and just the day-to-day stuff going on in our lives. They're not just teammies.......they're friends.

Enjoy the day out there today - looks like a perfect day for a ride........alone or with your teammates!