Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Does it REALLY matter.......



So, this morning I had the opportunity to read a little tech report article on Cyclingnews.com about the new Trek Madone 6.9. Obviously, this is truly an incredible bicycle - just a dream machine for many riders out there - insanely light, state-of-the-art and all that junk. You know, one of those bikes that makes cycling fun for many riders. But, when you read the article, you really come away thinking that this is a "too much" bike.........that the Trek Madone 5.2 is probably the better option for most cyclists looking for this type of bicycle. And when you look at the price difference between the two($7,700 vs. $3,680), you have to wonder if all those extra thousands of dollars in the 6.9 are worth it. For some, yes, it is - and they'll pay what it takes to get the best......for them. Maybe it's a mental thing.......maybe it was a dream to ride such a piece of state-of-the-art carbon........maybe just bike lust!

I know that, for me, I have always had a "thing" for Moots. But, in reality, although I like to look at all my bikes as pieces of art(even when they're dirty, greasy, messy looking things!), it's all in how you use them. Will you have the same experiences on this bike compared to that bike?? Maybe, maybe not. But it's all in how you use them. A bike is a really really fun thing to admire - I swear, I can't tell you how much time I have spent in my life just staring at beautiful bicycles. However, in the end, bicycles are meant also to be ridden.

So, who cares if you get the $12,000 wonder bike of the year, or the $200 Ebay special - just go out and ride 'em!! (Like I have to tell YOU guys that!!).