Thursday, March 13, 2008

Questioning Carbon.......

So, last night I was thumbing through some pictures on Flickr and ended up coming across this picture put up by cycling stud Alden Tanaka - Click Here! Made me sorta cringe to look at it. Then, this afternoon, my friend Paul Stephens from the Infovista Team sent me this picture he took of Chico Corsa's Ben Bryant's Giant. Ben, who was riding in our own Bidwell Park last summer - just warming up for our Wednesday night Fast 50 ride - had a tree fall on him! Luckily, Ben was okay - he had some cuts and bruises, but was okay for the most part. His carbon Giant, on the other hand.......well.......you can see it in Paul's picture above. Just nasty. And a bit scary too.

Then, top that off with Ed's accident with his carbon forks breaking cleanly in half on his Trek Madone after hitting a bollard........man, I don't know........startin' to make me a bit nervous. I love the feel of my carbon bike though - and I love how it rides. Just silky smooth fun. Still, makes me wonder sometimes.........