Tuesday, October 24, 2006

"Do you think that's appropriate?"


You know, if there is one word I hate more than any other at my work, it would have to be that stupid "A" word.........Appropriate. I hate that word. And I can't really tell you why, except for the fact that it feels so........limiting. What's appropriate??? Is it appropriate that I wear my cycling socks to work everyday - even with my dress clothes??? Probably not.....but so what?? They're my feet....they're my sox. So there.



And I imagine that some probably feel the same way about cycling or specifics within cycling. Is it "appropriate" to ride a road bike off-road??? Is it "appropriate" to go downhill on a 42x16 fixed gear bicycle??? Is it "appropriate" to go out riding in the pouring down rain.......at night???? Is it "appropriate" to ride a 53cm frame when you normally ride a 58cm frame(standard......non-sloping)??? Is it "appropriate" to ride road when you love MTB.....or vice versa.......or go unicycling......or recumbent pedaling......or giving a Spinning class a shot......or climbing a hill in a 56x11.......or wear your Sidi Dragons on a road bike.......or wear your Ergo 1 Signoris in an Alley Cat race????

What is "appropriate"??? Man, I hate that word. I hear it so often at work, it makes me puke. I just can't stand it. And the one thing I don't want to ever have happen is to have that stupid "A" word infiltrate into my cycling life. That would just suk.



"Okay Rodney - you're in a race and some bozo swipes your front wheel with a bonehead move and you go down. Is that appropriate??!!"

Nah - that's just lame.