Friday, September 08, 2006

I am distraught.....


......found out tonight that Alto Velo rider John Peckham was killed by a drunk driver today while out on a ride. John is the rider on the right(in green) getting 3rd place in the 2005 West Sac Criterium in the picture above. It's the only picture I think I have of John racing.

John and I had communicated numerous times last season about his rise to the elite ranks of northern California racing. We talked, via e-mail, about training and racing techniques.....and what it was like to dominate in our Cat. 3, 4, 5 ranks. He was truly a giving person who didn't mind sharing his knowledge and know-how. And I loved watching him at the races - waiting for the right moments to attack, almost toying with the field.......then layin' it all out there in the final sprint.

Hearing about his death today really hit me. I want all you guys to be safe out there - ride aware, be cautious, keep your eyes and ears open.

Drunk drivers suck.

You will be missed John. :(