Today's Jonesville Road Race Results..................
The next event in the 2009 Chico Road R.A.C.E. Series is next Saturday's Messilla Valley Circuit Race - June 13th!
For some photos and videos of today's Jonesville Event, please visit:
Below are the Combined Results from today's Jonesville Road Race, followed by the Category Results from this morning's race........and below that are the Current Overall Standings in the 2009 Chico Road R.A.C.E. Series. Today's event was Race #2 in the 2009 Chico Road R.A.C.E. Series and was considered to be an Hors Category Event - meaning 35 points to the winner, 30 for 2nd, 28 for 3rd and so on. Our current leaders in each category for this Series are: Rich Thurman for Category "A", Forough Molina for the Women's Category and Charlie Pelton for Category "B".
COMBINED RESULTS FROM THE JUNE 7th JONESVILLE ROAD RACE:
1. Rich Thurman 2:06:06
2. Greg Golet 2:08:33
3. Paul McIntyre 2:08:37
4. Mike Smith 2:08:47
5. Alex Blease 2:09:08
6. Brad Foster 2:10:38
7. Jim Roberts 2:10:46
8. Kevin Speacht 2:15:53
9. Randy Moon 2:22:03
10. Josh Bullock 2:27:01
11. Mark Bloom 2:30:10 (1st Place in Category B!)
12. Ken Petruzzelli 2:31:25
13. Charlie Pelton 2:32:41
14. Matt Carlson 2:33:40
15. Steve Kodad 2:39:33
16. Mike Crumm 2:41:23
17. Forough Molina 2:41:30 (1st Place Woman!!!)
18. Greg Watkins 2:42:15
19. Elizabeth Brent 2:45:17 (2nd Place Woman!!!)
20. Bill Brent 2:52:29
21. Kristen Schonauer 3:10:12 (3rd Place Woman!!!)
22. Jim Mensching 3:24:35
23. Skip Lees 3:41:12
24. Mike Candela 3:47:48
CATEGORY RESULTS FROM THE JUNE 7th JONESVILLE ROAD RACE:
Category "A" Men:
1. Rich Thurman 2:06:06 (35 points + 4 = 39 points)
2. Greg Golet 2:08:33 (30 points + 4 = 34 points)
3. Paul McIntyre 2:08:37 (28 points + 4 = 32 points)
4. Mike Smith 2:08:47 (26 points + 4 = 30 points)
5. Alex Blease 2:09:08 (24 points + 4 = 28 points)
6. Brad Foster 2:10:38 (22 points + 4 = 26 points)
7. Jim Roberts 2:10:46 (20 points + 4 = 24 points)
8. Kevin Speacht 2:15:53 (18 points + 4 = 22 points)
9. Randy Moon 2:22:03 (16 points + 4 = 20 points)
10. Josh Bullock 2:27:01 (14 points + 4 = 18 points)
1. Forough Molina 2:41:30 (35 points + 4 = 39 points)
2. Elizabeth Brent 2:45:17 (30 points + 4 = 34 points)
3. Kristen Schonauer 3:10:12 (28 points + 4 = 32 points)
Category "B" Men:
1. Mark Bloom 2:30:10 (35 points + 4 = 39 points)
2. Ken Petruzzelli 2:31:25 (30 points + 4 = 34 points)
3. Charlie Pelton 2:32:41 (28 points + 4 = 32 points)
4. Matt Carlson 2:33:40 (26 points + 4 = 30 points)
5. Steve Kodad 2:39:33 (24 points + 4 = 28 points)
6. Mike Crumm 2:41:23 (22 points + 4 = 26 points)
7. Greg Watkins 2:42:15 (20 points + 4 = 24 points)
8. Bill Brent 2:52:29 (18 points + 4 = 22 points)
9. Jim Mensching 3:24:35 (16 points + 4 = 20 points)
10. Skip Lees 3:41:12 (14 points + 4 = 18 points)
11. Mike Candela 3:47:48 (12 points + 4 = 16 points)
CURRENT OVERALL STANDINGS IN THE 2009 CHICO ROAD R.A.C.E. SERIES:
Current Overall Standings for Category "A" Men:
1. Rich Thurman 61 points
2. Kevin Speacht 51 points
3. Brad Foster 50 points
4. Greg Golet 34 points
5. Paul McIntyre 32 points
6. Mike Smith 30 points
7. Alex Blease 28 points
8. Jim Roberts 24 points
9. Randy Moon 20 points
9. Aren Timmel 20 points
11. Josh Bullock 18 points
11. Tyler Honeyman 18 points
13. Mike Castaldo 16 points
14. Sean Molina 14 points
15. Charlie Dawson 12 points
16. Rob Bishop 10 points
17. Mike Painter 8 points
18. Joe Shelburne 6 points
1. Forough Molina 63 points
2. Elizabeth Brent 34 points
3. Kristen Schonauer 32 points
4. Kim Agur 29 points
5. Grace Twedt 22 points
6. Darlene Henderson 20 points
7. Mary Reyes 18 points
Category "B" Men:
1. Charlie Pelton 54 points
2. Michael Crumm 46 points
3. Mark Bloom 39 points
4. Ken Petruzzelli 34 points
5. Matt Carlson 30 points
6. Denny McKenney 29 points
7. Steve Kodad 28 points
8. Greg Watkins 24 points
8. Tom Embree 24 points
10. Bill Brent 22 points
11. Jim Mensching 20 points
12. Skip Lees 18 points
12. Preben Nielsen 18 points
14. Mike Candela 16 points
14. Dan Spencer 16 points
2009 CHICO ROAD R.A.C.E. SERIES INFORMATION:
After the great turn-out at last year's various Chico Road Races, we're going to be doing them again for 2009......but this time, they will ALSO be in a "Series" format. For those curious, the approximate definition of "Bicycle Road Races" can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_bicycle_racing
This Series will go from Saturday, May 30th through mid-September 2009......just before the Henleyville Road Race on September 19th, 2009! Most of these races will be starting at either 8:00AM or 9:00AM on the weekends - but some could be as early as 7:00AM.......and others starting as late as 10:00AM(highly unlikely).
Why have this event???
Looking at cycle racing from an international view, "road racing" is one of the most prestigious aspects of bicycle racing. The greatest racing champions in the hisotry of our great sport - Eddy Merckx, Lance Armstrong, Bernard Hinault, Fausto Coppi, Greg LeMond, Miguel Indurain, Gino Bartali - the list goes on and on and on. These riders were great "road racing" champions. The road race itself requires great stamina, strength, speed, skill and sense to win - or to place. To win a road race - or place highly in a road race consistently - is the epitome of a great cycle racing champion. This contest will track the most consistent riders in the area for road racing. The winner of this event will have a great opportunity for bragging rights - plus, they'll win the Series Championship Trophy!!
How does it work???
Okay, here are a few notes for 2009 Chico Road R.A.C.E. Series:
1. We will be using a variety of courses for this Series - including some flat courses, very hilly courses, somewhat hilly courses, circuit race courses(no Crits) and so forth. The idea is to get a variety of course profiles going for the Series to test the riders a bit. Next year - 2010 - this Series will also be starting much earlier in the year in order to get a feel for different weather conditions as well.
2. ALL riders must sign in this year at the start of EACH event - There will be a small table at the Start/Finish location - just sign in at the table and you are good to go! Sign-ins normally start 30 minutes before the event takes place and closes about 1-2 minutes before the event starts. Rain or wet weather will normally not cancel the events. However, last year we had some tremendous smoke from the Humboldt Fire in this area......which, in turn, may cancel some of the Road Races due to hazardous air quality.
3. There will normally be 2 Categories racing at the Road Races - the Category "A" Event and the Category "B" Event. However, EACH Series Category will be picked separately(Women's, Women's Masters, Men's Masters, Juniors, etc.). Category "A" races will normally start first, with the Category "B" races starting a couple of minutes later. If there are enough racers to have a separate category start after the "B" event, we will make that happen as well.
4. Helmets are MANDATORY! So, please....please.....wear your helmet! Please!!
5. All are welcome - you don't have to do the Series - just come on out and give this Road Race training/riding a shot! They're a GREAT workout!!!
6. Points are used to calculate the Overall Standings in the Series. The point breakdown is as follows: 25-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1-1-1, with an additional 4 points being given to each participant at each event. So, 25 points goes to the winner, 20 points goes to 2nd place, 18 points goes to 3rd place and so on.........in addition to 4 more points just for doing the event. The rider with the MOST points at the end of the Series wins the Overall Title - and the 2009 Chico Road R.A.C.E. Series Championship Trophy, plus whatever goodies we can give you. If one race proves particularly harsh.........ex. - the Jonesville Road Race on June 7th..............the point breakdown MAY be increased(35 to the winner, 30 to 2nd and so forth). IN ADDITION - It is quite possible that some of the Mini-Road-Races held during the week MAY be counted towards the Overall Title, but with fewer points (think.......5 to the winner, 4 to 2nd, 3 to 3rd and so on.....with NO point bonuses for competing).
7. Although the races are advertised as having 2 Categories out on the course - Category A and Category B - the Series itself has more Trophy Categories, including:
Category "A" Men
Category "B" Men
And any others if there are enough riders!
These are the Categories which all qualify for a Series Championship Trophy - as of NOW. We will ADD Categories if enough riders show up out there - so tell your friends!! If nobody - or very few folks are in one category - we may eliminate it and add an additional category where the numbers allow it. As usual, sandbaggers are strongly discouraged ( A Sandbagger would be a Category "A" rider entering a Category "B" event - this would have to be completely obvious to the Race Director).
In addition, trophies will normally be given out at EACH event for the winners in various categories............depending upon the budget of the Race Director.
8. Although donations to put on these events are always very appreciated and accepted, this Series is FREE - so come on out and take advantage of some, or all, of these Road R.A.C.E.s in 2009!
9. The Race Director reserves the right to DQ any rider for unsafe riding or unsportsmanlike conduct at ANY time. Also, PLEASE - try not to use colorful language out there - especially with the little kids around watching the race at the finish line and so forth. ANY rider breaking these rules can be subject to Disqualification from - not only the race - but from the entire Series. So, please - just do what ya always do and just be cool!!!!
10. Finally, remember - these Road Race events are essentially for practice and exercise - we have fun out there and get a great little workout in, and we get to work on some quality cycling skills. But, overall, they're no big whoop....no World Championship/Olympic medals or million dollar contracts on the line. So, with that in mind, just treat 'em as such - a good training event to try some new things, gain some good fitness.....and maybe even get into a "real" sanctioned Road Race at some point in time. Or not. Just have fun with it!! We'll have trophies and hopefully some prizes for the Series winners - and definitely loads of fun....and pain and suffering. ;) But remember - it's all in good fun!
Hope to see you out there!!
Team Chico & R.A.C.E. - Rodney's Amateur Cycling Events