Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Coaching......

So, the other day I had the opportunity to read a blog entry from a well-known cycling coach. As I read it, I understood what he was saying........but the last paragraph really had me shaking my head. Wonder if a guy like Bill Belichick thinks the same way. Doubt it......but who knows? Just seemed so.......I don't know......disconnected.

I was extremely fortunate to have a coach when I first started out bicycle racing as a kid. Local Chico racing cyclist and bicycle enthusiast, Dave Welch, took myself and my best friend Brad Curd under his wing to teach us the fine and unwritten aspects of bicycle riding/racing. We were both about 12 and 13 years old at the time - riding with the Chico Velo Cycling Club. The coolest thing - he would ride with us constantly. He would show us first-hand how things were done, how to train, how to drink from a water bottle, how to look at the road ahead - the million little things you need to know while out on the bike. And he did it free of charge - he volunteered his time to help out a couple of young inexperienced riders/racers. It made a huge impact on both of our lives.

I see coaches out there now who are charging an arm and a leg for services(like the one mentioned above). Or worse, inexperienced coaches not only charging for coaching services, but trying to get you to buy products as well. It's come to a time when some coaches will never meet their clients face-to-face. Yes, I know - maybe that isn't a mandatory thing nowadays with such technology at our fingertips. Still, I wonder if it is worth it. Probably, yes. But, it's up to the individual, I guess.

One thing I can say about my old coach is that he was very motivating. He made me WANT to ride - to ride more, to experience more out on the bike. And that was probably one of the biggest assets of having a coach. There are some local coaches here in Chico who have that ability too - not necessarily certified coaches......but coaches who just help you along and make you want to ride more, to have fun, to keep things in perspective. Invaluable, I'll tell ya - just worth it.

Anyway, enough for the Wednesday bloggin' - go Ride Your Bike!!!!