Thursday, January 04, 2007

Hi Steve! No no, the blogger's not broke.....

.....it's just operator error.
Post #799. I started this thing back on December 31, 2005. And man, what fun!! But I need to keep more up-to-date on this thing. Yes, a New Year's Resolution.
Lots has happened in the last ten days since I've blogged on here. First, I work for these guys now. And let me tell you, it's a dream come true. And Ed - what a great guy to work for - best boss ever. And I found out yesterday that, years ago, he use to babysit this guy! Crazy stuff. Guess Ed and his dad were buds back in the day. And the Dude came over to Ed's house and ended up partying there until 3am! Ed - man, didn't know you were a rocker!!
On a downside, Peggy, Janeen and Aren all have crashed in the past couple of weeks. And that is the part about cycling I don't like. It's still a shock for me to hear about stuff like this.......just puts a little dent in the armor sometimes. Peggy broke her cheekbone on a Hwy. 32 descent crash; Janeen broke her collarbone on a River Road crash; and I heard today that Aren crashed and broke out his front teeth(Aren's picture is above - this is him winning the 2006 Nevada City Classic in the Cat. 3s). I don't like it. Hopefully this bad luck came - and went - in 3s. No more. I wish all of you a super speedy recovery - and let me know if you need anything.
And, to top it off, Lori and I both got the flu......recovered from it.....then I got it again. Guess I shoulda gotten that flu shot when I had the chance. So, right now, I'm involved in Vomit Launch 2007.....without the intervals. Feels sorta empty that way. Dang it, I need to accomplish something with my vomit launches! Just kidding.
On December 31, 2006, Geno, Lori and myself ran the 1st Annual Year-End Humboldt Hill Climb Time Trial(registration pic above - the winner is the guy in blue signing up). It was a modest turn-out - but tons of fun! Here are the final results:
1. Ed Condit(from Redding): 15:06
2. Joe Shelburne: 15:25
3. Lau Ackerman: 16:02
4. Steve Vickery: 16:07
5. Kareem Speake: 18:32
6. Janine Rood(1st Woman): 18:38
7. Jay Rawlins: 18:44
8. Kathie Thornton(2nd Woman): 19:03
9. Jeff Ochs: 20:54
10. Daniel Henning: 21:33
11. Dave Withrow: 21:55
12. Eric Ayars & Jessalyn Ayars(she's 7!!): 23:14 (1st place tandem)
We'll be doing another one of these Humboldt Hill TTs in the spring......so start training now!
And man, the racing season is already under way! As soon as I read the race reports and results for this little event, I knew it was on.

And the pic above is Kareem's new Vellum.......and from what I understand, it was worth the wait! He's tinkered with it a bit and got the weight down to 15.5 lbs. or some ungodly amount. Thing is crazy light.

And finally today.....a picture of my new Chico Velo office. And although it may look sparse to some, to me, well.....it's a mansion. My last job had 3 - and sometimes 4 - of us in an office the same size as this one. Knowing that this little baby is all mine makes me smile. I love it.

Anyway, hope you guys all had a great Holiday season, a Happy New Year, and I hope you got lots of cool cycling stuff under the tree. 2007 will be a great year of riding, I just know it. Let's enjoy the ride.