Monday, March 20, 2006

One thing going through my head.......

......on Sunday during the race, was the classic book called "Cycle Racing: Training to Win" by famed cycling author Les Woodland. This was the very first book I read on cycling training - I had the opportunity to check it out of the Chico State University library at the age of 12 and I read it over and over and over again the couple of weeks I had it.

Recently, being the cycling bookhound that I am, I got another copy of it and was able to read it again....and again.....and again. And it blows me away in its Caldwellian style(how you like that one OV??? Oh man, get this - found out a few weeks ago that I got Caldwell's autograph at a race when I was like 14 or 15 - he autographed a race guide I had from a stage race he was riding in.....just found it in one of my cycling boxes.....weird).

Anyway, this book was ahead of its time - it was written in 1975/1976. The most profound idea in the book are the 5 Ss of cycling - Stamina, Strength, Speed, Skill....and the false S of Psychology. Why is it so profound??? Because you gain all of the Ss through one training technique.......riding your bicycle. That is friggin' deep Dude. Woodland, you are a master.

In reality though, he was talking about training ideas that people in the States just did not even fathom at that time. So, that made it an interesting read here in 2006.

Why am I writing this on my blog??? Heck, I don't know - just thought it sounded cool! And sorta retro-grouchy too!