Thursday, February 16, 2006

This may not make a lot of sense.....

....to some out there(kinda like this blog!)....but maybe it will....who knows. Obviously, we all have our views, likes and dislikes in the world of cycling and racing. I, for one, definitely have mine. And I'll tell you the one thing I admire the most in a rider and a racer - quiet confidence.

I've had people ask me why I tend to mention Olaf and the Thurmanator now and again in the blog. These two guys represent all things cool about cycling - they're awesome riders, they really have nothing to prove to anyone but themselves, and they don't need a big mouth to get their point across. When I met Greg LeMond back in 1983, he had that same kind of quiet charisma and confidence about him. He was totally nice, very giving with information, not boastful in any way. In short, he was a rider to be admired.

The Thurmanator(Rich Thurman, for those who don't know who in the world I'm talking about) and I went to high school together and graduated together here in Chico. Rich was always an athlete - and a very good one. When he got into cycling, you just knew good things would happen......and they did, including two District Road Racing Championships and numerous mountain biking victories in the Expert and Semi-Pro class. And the thing about him is that, the guy is super nice, has nothing to prove, isn't boastful at all - just quiet confidence....and has a very basic way of looking at riding & racing. Rich told me once that he doesn't train to race.......he races to train. Imagine that! Can you imagine what kind of pressure that would take off of most racers out there???

And every time I read Olaf's blog - especially about the training and racing(sorry MH - the Schmoopy stuff I leave for Lori to read.....and she enjoys it!) - I'm only thinking one thing.......Damn, that sounds like fun!!!! Yeah, the Schmoopy stuff is fun too!

But I guess what I'm trying to say is that, at least to me, it seems like some of the best and most admired riders out there don't have to be A-holes or loudmouths......they enjoy the riding, their training, their racing.....and just the fun & fitness that comes with cycling. And in the end, they have a way of inspiring and motivating those around them without really saying much at all.

So, yeah, I'll continue to mention these two riders - they're definitely awesome in my book.