Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Rose Bowl.......Bike Race

I'm watching the Rose Bowl a little this evening - more out of curiosity than anything. I follow college football about as closely as I follow baseball - which is almost not at all(NFL is a different story though). This Rose Bowl is such a big event - the National Championship of college football, Texas vs. USC. And I think about all the millions and millions of people across the US - and the world - who are watching the game. And it made me wonder - what if bike racing were just as popular in the US as this Rose Bowl game? Would any of us riders/racers still race and ride if it were that popular? Or do we like the fact that we're in a fairly unique sport? Sure, it's become more popular now, primarily because of Lance. But does anyone remember the early 90s and how road cycling just about died in popularity?

I don't know, but I think I sort of like the fact that we're in a fairly unique sport. But most of all, I just love the feeling of riding.