Monday, July 17, 2006

Bike lust is a funny thing......

.....as I found out on Saturday.

Watching the Tour everyday, I was really taken by the T-Mobile team. I couldn't believe how consistently good these guys were riding. And what with Mike having a beautiful Giant in the window of one of our local shops, I was truly lusting after those bicycles.......especially the T-Mobile edition Giant.

Well, on Saturday, Lori and I were in Mt. Shasta City visiting their local cycling shop - The Fifth Season. The Fifth Season is a Giant dealer - but they're also a Moots dealer. And before I even walked through their front door, I could see the magic staring at me from just inside. On display was a 2006 Moots VaMoots SL, full Dura-Ace, just sitting there......waiting......begging to be ridden up Mt. Shasta. Lori thought it was hilarious - I walked in, went right to the Moots, and began my worship of the perfect titanium welds. I looked over every piece of that machine.....in total awe, talking uncontrollably about bicycle perfection.

Lori was laughing - and I thought she was laughing because of my reaction towards the Moots. In reality, she was laughing because directly above the Moots was......you guessed it......the T-Mobile edition Giant.......which I completely ignored.

Bike lust is a weird thing. It's a world of infatuations. But when it comes down to it, the one thing that really matters is the ride. To me, I think I'll always love those Moots bicycles. It's a bit more than infatuation.

Ultimately though, the thing I love the most is riding. We are so fortunate to be able to be participants in this amazing sport.

OH - and the SL in the shop - well.......it'll have to wait another day for that Mt. Shasta ride.....I'd have to sell my soul to purchase it at this point.

In time.......in time.