Monday, May 22, 2006

"Uh, I think you're going the wrong way."

That's something I probably would hear from my accountant after going to the bike shop this past week - not once, but twice. And yeah, I went the wrong way......I spent more than I probably should have on cycling junk.

However, the two items I purchased - yeah, there were only two - were a pair of cycling shoes and a saddle(okay, if you count BOTH shoes, there are 3 items). These are two of the main contact points on your bicycle, as you already know. So, by my reasoning......which is completely slanted......this was money well spent! Shoes that actually fit my feet......and a saddle that actually fits my fat butt!

The payoff here is tremendous......just a tad bit more cycling comfort. I'm not talking about lounge chair comfort here - I'm talking about taking that little edge off as the miles wear on. Feet a little more comfortable.......your butt not quite so sore at mile 60. Can you put a price on these little comforts??? Well, according to the bike shop, yes, you can.

And so, my wallet shrunk more than I wanted.......but my cycling enjoyment just grew exponentially.

I'd say that's a bargain.