Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Burnout.

Back in the day(yeah, another one of those silly stories), I went through a section of burnout with cycling. It was about 1986 or so. It had gotten to a point where cycling was just no longer fun for me - it was a chore. Training schedules were over-analyzed, races were over-hyped, results were poured over like it was the end of the world. There was just too much information, too much to think about. The one goal - how to get faster, how to do well in races, how to win. I forgot the one reason why I got into the sport in the first place - because the riding itself was fun.

I don't wish burnout on anyone. It's debilitating. If it wasn't for the re-discovery of mountain biking at that time, I probably would have just stopped riding altogether. It brought the "fun" aspect of cycling back to me. It showed me that there was more to bicycling than just racing........that the ride itself was the joy in it all.

So, with that said, have fun out there!

Now, about that saddle sore.........