Saturday, April 15, 2006

Talk to me Goose......

.......which one of you Studs won this race???



Rider: John Peckham
Race: Menlo Park Crit - CAT 2
Date: 4/15/06 - are your taxes done?
Teammates: Brad Goodson (6th)
Placing: 2nd of ~35

Course Description: A 1km 4 corner crit. 2 long straights, 2 short straights. There was a lot of broken pavement, ruts, manhole ditches, and cars parked or emerging from driveways. Course marshals were at intersections, but not driveways. Twice in the race we had new cars as obstacles, coming out of turn #2. Pretty hard to change your line at 30mph.

Morning Opener: I sat in on the spectrum ride in the morning. I wasn't sure how that would leave my legs in the afternoon. I made sure not to be to active on the ride, just sit up front. Evidently it was a good opener. It was mellow at ~2 hours and 1500kJ.

Report: Having been dropped from both races last weekend I decided I would try to conserve as much as possible. About 30min into the race my legs felt good, and there was a break up the road. It was well represented with about 7 guys. Only McGuire seemed to want to close the gap, so I pulled through to help, but didn't destroy myself finishing the job. I just got the pack back within reach and sure enough people started bridging, which effectively brought the race back together. With about 10 laps to go another break was up the road, but not that far, and with only 5 guys. I didn't do anything to help close that, as I trusted it would come back together. With 3 laps to go the break was caught and the pace slowed for a lap. The Solano team, with about 5 racers, got up to the front. With 2 laps to go the pace picked up, and Solono lined up a train with one rider from another team in the middle. As we got the bell I was about 8th rider. The Solono team was doing a nice job keeping the pace high and the field strung out. I had Brad on my wheel so I decided to take him to the front of the field after turn 2, since it would be hard to make up places after turn 3. I came around the train and dove into turn three. I was at my comfort limit on this turn, but knew the field would want to use me as a lead-out so I didn't pedal through. After I was confident I wouldn't clip a pedal I got back on the gas and was able to pedal through turn 4. When nobody emerged on either side I went for it. I still thought I had Brad on my wheel, so I was giving it all and pulled through to the line. Unfortunately it wasn't Brad, but an EMC rider who had bumped him off my wheel and beat me with a bike throw. It was a mental mistake on my part because I didn't throw my bike as I was under the impression the wheel coming up on my side was Brad's. After a 1/2 lap lead out I was toasted and cross eyed anyway, so I'm not sure I could have stayed upright with a bike throw as it was.

In the end it was a big confidence booster, even though it was a small field size. The pace was consistently fast, with slowing only just after a break formed, and only for a lap or so at a time.

Thanks for reading,

John