Friday, March 24, 2006

True Inspiration........

I work in Administration for an assisted living facility for the elderly. I love my job, even though the pay pretty much sux. However, there are more rewards from the job than just cash, and the experiences I've had there will last a lifetime.

We have one resident living there who is 91 years old. She is one of the nicest residents we have....and also one of the healthiest! In short, she is a true inspiration to me. And here's one of the many reasons why: Everyday of the year - every single day - she walks 3 hours. 1 hour every morning when she gets up out of bed, 1 hour after breakfast and 1 hour after lunch. And we're not talking slow strolls here - we're talking speed walking. She's quick!

I've learned more from her about training/exercise than I ever could from a coach. I talk to her daily about her exercise "routine", how she copes with weather or mental blocks, and how she does it every single day. After every walk, I like to get the low-down on how her "training session" was......and the conditions outside. She refuses to let weather be a factor - if it's raining too hard outside for her walk, she does laps within our facility - up to 30 laps per day. I've seen the benefits the exercise has on her - both mental and physical. She follows a great diet too - no junk. Her mood is always fantastic - she is happy, laughing, talking, outgoing, alert and very "with it"......and she is very healthy. She is living, breathing proof of what exercise and diet can do for a body.

I always joke with my co-workers that if I was on her training schedule(for the bike), I'd win Nationals! Of course, that's silly......but you never know!

In short, she is my inspiration......and I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to know her.

(Sorry - can't release her name - just her story.)