Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Hi Everyone!!! I would like to thank everyone who came out to Saturday morning's Lunt Road Uphill Time Trial - we had 18 riders out there taking part in this event on a fairly decent morning.....not too cold. Unfortunately, the wind picked up just as the riders were setting off on the TT, creating a headwind on the uphill!
A HUGE thank you goes out to Gary Fowler for volunteering to start the riders off once again on Saturday morning - thank you so much for all of your help Gary!!!
Okay, below are the Combined Results from Saturday morning's Category 1 climb of The Lunt Road Uphill Time Trial - followed by the Current Overall Standings in the Butte Hill Climb Time Trial Series. Saturday's event was #11 out of 16 events - the next event is this upcoming Saturday - The Table Mountain Uphill Time Trial - Saturday, April 3rd at 9:00AM! This is Event #12 in the Butte Hill Climb Time Trial Series, and is considered a Category 1 climb - it's about 5.3 miles in length and about 1,600 feet of climbing(rough estimates). Registration will open at 8:30am, with the first rider going off at 9:01am....and we will go in 1-minute intervals. Everyone is welcome to come on out and give it a shot! The Start location for this event is in Oroville on Cherokee Road(see map) where it crosses the channel......just past La Colina Drive......but before you get to Thompson Flat Cemetary Road. You will be climbing Table Mountain the same way as Chico Velo's Wildflower Century. The Finish is at the top - usually where Durl has his water station for the Wildflower.
A rough approximation of the Table Mountain Time Trial route can be found on Bikely.com here: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Table-Mountain-TT Rain does not cancel!
Remember - you can always come out to any or all of the Time Trials - just go your own pace, do your own thing - just you against the clock, no big whoop - and it's FREE! We have a wide variety of riders out there - ALL are welcome to come out and give it a shot!! AND - if you don't want your time recorded in the Official Results, it's okay - just let me know at the Start when you sign in.
I still need someone to help me start the riders off this Saturday, so if you can volunteer to help out, just send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org - you still get to race, just be the last one to start.....and you get a 3 Point Bonus in the Series(along with my undying gratitude)!
For some photos of last Saturday's Lunt Road Uphill Time Trial, please visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicovelo/
Please let me know if you see any additions, subtractions, corrections, deletions or any other changes that need to be made in the results below - I may have guessed on some of the Age & Categories, so let me know if there's an error. Results will be final after a 24-hour protest period - starting now:
COMBINED RESULTS - THE LUNT ROAD UPHILL TIME TRIAL - MARCH 27th, 2010:
1. Alex Blease 22:30
2. Brad Foster 23:22
3. Jim Roberts 23:43
4. Doug Weseman 25:05
5. Mike Watson 27:08
6. Luke Wentland 27:29
7. Elizabeth Brent 28:16
8. Gary Fowler 28:29
9. Jon Walker 28:31
10. Marty Crosley 28:35
11. Denny McKenney 29:00
12. Ashley Rawlins 30:14
13. Byron Fountain 30:28
14. Mark Wolford 31:08
15. Lex Parker 33:06
16. Skip Lees 34:29
17. Aliya Traficante 38:08
18. Holly Gillespie 39:14
CATEGORY RESULTS - THE LUNT ROAD UPHILL TIME TRIAL - MARCH 27th, 2010:
Category "A" Men Results:
1. Alex Blease 22:30 (30 points + 3 = 33 points)
2. Brad Foster 23:22 (26 points + 3 = 29 points)
3. Jim Roberts 23:43 (24 points + 3 = 27 points)
Category "B" Men Results:
1. Luke Wentland 27:29 (30 points + 3 = 33 points)
2. Jon Walker 28:31 (26 points + 3 = 29 points)
3. Marty Crosley 28:35 (24 points + 3 = 27 points)
Women's Category Results:
1. Ashley Rawlins 30:14 (30 points + 3 = 33 points)
2. Holly Gillespie 39:14 (26 points + 3 = 29 points)
Womens 45+ Category Results:
1. Elizabeth Brent 28:16 (30 points + 3 = 33 points)
Clydesdale Men Results:
No competitors. :(
Mens 45+ Category Results:
1. Doug Weseman 25:05 (30 points + 3 = 33 points)
2. Mark Wolford 31:08 (26 points + 3 = 29 points)
3. Lex Parker 33:06 (24 points + 3 = 27 points)
Mens 55+ Category Results:
1. Mike Watson 27:08 (30 points + 3 = 33 points)
2. Gary Fowler 28:29 (26 points + 3 Volunteer Points + 3 = 32 points)
3. Denny McKenney 29:00 (24 points + 3 = 27 points)
4. Byron Fountain 30:28 (22 points + 3 = 25 points)
5. Skip Lees 34:29 (20 points + 3 = 23 points)
1. Aliya Traficante 38:08 (30 points + 3 = 33 points)
CURRENT OVERALL STANDINGS IN THE 2010 BUTTE HILL CLIMB TIME TRIAL SERIES AFTER 11 EVENTS:
Category "A" Men Overall Standings:
1. Jim Roberts 185 points
2. Jesse Rushing 176 points
3. Brad Foster 94 points
4. Lowell Moural Jr. 84 points
5. Alex Blease 81 points
6. Greg Golet 73 points
7. Kyle Hughes 69 points
8. Aren Timmel 62 points
9. Tim Olson 60 points
10. Josh Bullock 59 points
11. Chris Roots 50 points
12. Josh Rowe 32 points
13. Ethan Black 29 points
14. Ian Boswell 27 points
15. Scott Fellers 25 points
16. David Albrecht 23 points
17. Rich Thurman 21 points
18. Scott Heather 17 points
18. Brian Larson 17 points
20. Joe Shelburne 15 points
20. Jeff Galland 15 points
Category "B" Men Overall Standings:
1. Jon Walker 237 points
2. Marty Crosley 196 points
3. Luke Wentland 166 points
3. David Dura 166 points
5. Tom Embree 75 points
6. Ben Wentland 70 points
7. Chris Devine 42 points
8. Alex Roberson 32 points
8. Darrin Bell 32 points
10. Alex Albrecht 30 points
10. Daniel Law 30 points
12. Jon Keyzer 29 points
13. Trevor Stewart 27 points
14. Bryan Slinkard 23 points
15. Derek Moffitt 21 points
16. Jonathan McCabe 19 points
16. Bobby Just 19 points
16. Greg Wright 19 points
19. Don Curtis 17 points
20. Nate Vigeant 16 points
21. Brian Oppy 15 points
22. Octavio Valencia 13 points
23. Steve Chollet 11 points
23. John Jacobson 11 points
Women's Category Overall Standings:
1. Forough Molina 129 points
2. Caryn Jones 89 points
3. Holly Gillespie 85 points
3. Ariana Altier 56 points
5. Lisa Berry 46 points
6. Ashley Rawlins 33 points
6. Janene Ayer 33 points
8. Chloe Brandow 27 points
Womens 45+ Category Overall Standings:
1. Elizabeth Brent 158 points
1. Janine Rood 158 points
3. Jeanne O'regan 63 points
4. Anne Yates 27 points
5. Margaret Bomberg 19 points
6. Mary Ann Bachus 17 points
7. Ruth Lee 15 points
Clydesdale Men Overall Standings:
1. Rick Carhart 102 points
2. Clay Johnson 27 points
3. Colin Moakley 23 points
Mens 45+ Category Overall Standings:
1. Mark Wolford 281 points
2. Randy Will 163 points
3. Doug Weseman 143 points
4. Norm Rosene 84 points
5. Mike Ruffner 29 points
6. Lex Parker 27 points
7. Mike Jessen 23 points
7. Charlie Pelton 23 points
9. Dennis Schmidt 19 points
10. Jon Zuehlke 17 points
Mens 55+ Category Overall Standings:
1. Byron Fountain 210 points
2. Mike Watson 208 points
3. Gary Fowler 204 points
4. Mike Trowbridge 166 points
5. Denny McKenney 134 points
6. Jim Mensching 132 points
7. Jay Rawlins 100 points
8. Skip Lees 76 points
9. Bill Brent 34 points
10. Hal Tacker 33 points
11. Walt Schafer 28 points
12. Lee Altier 27 points
Juniors Overall Standings:
1. Aliya Traficante 305 points
2. Davis Foster 52 points
2. Samuel Bransky 23 points
The 2010 Butte Hill Climb Time Trial Series Information:
Hi Everyone! So, we are starting a NEWER Hill Climb Series this next Spring - The Butte Hill Climb Time Trial Series in Spring 2010 will visit various parts of Butte County, with the climbs and dates below. There was a similar Series done years ago here in Chico - 1981 or 1982 - by Tom Devol and Jeff Smith, who owned Cyclesport bike shop at the time. And, of course, now there is that almost-famous Low Key Hillclimb Series in the Bay Area every fall. In any case, we decided to have our own and revive the old Hill Climb Series.......with a few route changes. Below is a list of the tentative events with dates. It should be mentioned that these dates could change depending upon other events going on. And, of course......the weather! Rain will NOT cancel - but snow and ice will.
16 events - 30,000 feet of total climbing - held over a 5-month period from January through May 2010!! Bound to be a very challenging and memorable Series. Sure - there will be pain and suffering - but it's the good kind!!
Note: The Chico Hill Climb Time Trial Series will be back in the Fall/Winter of 2010 - starting in September with the Cohasset Hill Climb TT! The Butte Series will go from January 1st, 2010 through May 2010. This Series follows a progression over 5 months - starting with the Category 3 climbs early to get your legs ready and all warmed-up........and ending with the Hors Category climbs in May. This should help you take advantage of those springtime miles - and get you ready for those hilly summertime Centuries and races!!!
How does it work??? Below are each of the 16 Events in the Butte Hill Climb Time Trial Series. Each climb has been given a rank based upon feedback from some well-known riders in the area (and climbers in particular - yes, I know - everyone is different, but this is just a low-key have-fun series, so no big whoop). Hors Category and Category 1 climbs are the hardest, with Category 3 being.......let's not say easiest.......let's say........not quite as hard as Category 1! Points will be awarded to the top finishers in each Hill Climb TT - the folks with the most points at the end of the Series, wins the overall title in their respective categories........along with the coveted Butte County Hill Climb Champion Trophy. Never done a Time Trial before?? No problem - it's just you against the clock.....go your own pace and just do what you can out there!!!
RESULTS: I will try my best to have results out from each Time Trial within a 24-hour period, as well as the Updated Overall Standings after each event. Sometimes life gets in the way, but I don't foresee that happening this next year(unlike the Chico Hill Series!). The results will be posted to all of the e-mail groups, on Facebook, on Twitter, on my blog, and to the Chico Enterprise-Record(although, they may not post them).
EVERY competitor who starts and finishes an event receives an additonal 3 points PER event. It should also be noted - there MIGHT be an additional point(s) awarded for "adverse conditons". One year, we had an absolute freezing cold downpour of rain at the Centerville Time Trial and I awarded everyone 2 extra points for "adverse conditions"........but, again, this is a BIG "might" and the conditions would have to be atrocious. ANY person who helps me start the riders off at the events receives an additional 3 points for volunteering - I usually only need 1 or 2 people, and can almost always use the help.....and you can still race the event - just be the last one out of the starting gate and you'll be good-to-go!!
The Point Breakdown for placings is as follows:
Hors Category Climb = 40-36-34-32-30-28-26-22-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1-1-1 (In other words, 1st place in an Hors Category Time Trial gets 40 points, 2nd place gets 36 and on down the line - every person who competes in the event gets at least 1 point).
Cat. 1 Climb = 30-26-24-22-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1-1-1 (1st place in a Cat. 1 TT gets 30 points, 2nd place gets 26 and on down the line - every person who competes in the event gets at least 1 point).
Cat. 2 Climb = 24-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1-1-1(The winner of a Cat. 2 climb gets 24 points, 2nd place gets 20 points and on and on.)
Cat. 3 Climb = 20-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1-1-1
And here are the Time Trial courses, the tentative dates, and their listed difficulty category. Starting times for the events are normally consistent - 8:30am registration opens, 1st rider off at 9:01am. **PLEASE NOTE - These dates are extremely tentative, and almost all of them fall on Saturdays. However, that does NOT mean that they will stay there - any sort of scheduling change for an event could put it on a Sunday(very easily) and dates may be switched around or pushed until May - or even June - 2010. Reasons for a change in dates include snow and ice on the climbs, other events going on that same day, a change in the R.A.C.E. calendar or Rodney being ill or out-of-town, etc. So, take the dates with a grain of salt....for now:
January 1st - Humboldt Road Time Trial - Cat. 3 - approximately 3.4 miles; 764 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
January 2nd - Centerville-to-Gravel Time Trial - Cat. 3 - approximately 6.6 miles; 1,364 feet of climbing.(Yes, I know - sorry). - COMPLETED!
January 9th - Cherokee Time Trial - Cat. 3 (Start at Coal Canyon Road, across from Wheelock Road) and go up Hwy. 70, turn right at Cherokee Road) - approximately 4.8 miles; 1,076 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
January 16th - Cohasset to the Store Time Trial Cat. 2 - approximately 5.1 miles & 1,600 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
January 30th - Pentz Road Time Trial - Cat. 2 - approximately 5.8 miles & 1,142 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
February 13th - Clark Road Time Trial - Cat. 2 - approximately 7.5 miles & 1,800 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
February 20th - Coutelenc TT - Cat. 2 (Just stay on Coutelenc) - approximately 6.8 miles & 1,593 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
February 28th - Vilas Road Time Trial - Cat. 1 (From Nicalog to the end of Vilas) - approximately 7 miles & 2,363 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
March 6th - Honey Run Road Time Trial - Cat. 1 - approximately 5.3 miles & 2,421 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
March 13th - Dark Canyon Time Trial - Cat. 1 - approximately 4 miles & 2,000 feet of climbing!! - COMPLETED!
March 27th - Cherokee Road to Lunt Road Time Trial - Cat. 1 - approximately 5.1 miles & 1,950 feet of climbing. - COMPLETED!
April 3rd - Table Mountain (Wildflower Side) Time Trial - Cat. 1 - approximately 5.3 miles & 1,621 feet of climbing.
April 10th - Forest Ranch to Lomo Time Trial - Cat. 1(starts at Forest Ranch Store; ends at entrance to Butte Meadows) - approximately 13.2 miles & 2,346 feet of climbing.
May 1st - Lomo to Jonesville Time Trial - Cat. 1 (starts at Hwy. 32 at entrance to Butte Meadows - ends at parking lot in Jonesville) - approximately 10.2 miles & 2,077 feet of climbing.
May 8th - Lovelock to Inskip Time Trial - Hors Category - approximately 10.4 miles & 2,800 feet of climbing.
May 15th - Cohasset to Gravel (from Nicalog to the end of Cohasset Road) - Hors Category - approximately 9.4 miles & 2,847 feet of climbing.
16 Climbs, approximately 30,000 feet of total climbing, held over a 5-month period from January through May 2010(if dates need to be changed, we could go into June 2010). Consistency will be key to winning the Overall Series.
PARTICIPANT CATEGORIES: The following categories will be offered for the Series(see below). The winner in each category will receive the Butte Hill Climb Champion Trophy, along with Bragging Rights.........as well as any stuff we can get to give away as prizes:
Category "A" Men
Category "B" Men
Womens 45+ Category
Clydesdale Men (No no, I'm not gonna weigh you - just show up and tell me and I will give you a yes or no answer.....however, I'm looking for about 200 pound body weight or more)
Mens 45+ Category
Mens 55+ Category
Juniors (Looking at 10 to 16 years of age for this particular Category, but may be changed depending upon who shows up!).
As usual, sandbaggers are strongly discouraged (A Sandbagger would be a Category "A" rider entering a Category "B" event). Also, if there are a lot of folks in one particular category, we may split those up into sub-categories, if needed. In turn, if nobody - or very few folks are in one category, we may eliminate it and add an additional category where the numbers allow it(these COULD include tandem categories, Category "C" or any other age Categories). At the end of the Series, we will have an Awards Ceremony at the Madison Bear Garden, one of the local bicycle shops or another establishment that would have us invade with cycling trophies/awards!! Hope to have some Butte Series T-shirts to give out as well, but will be dependent upon my extremely limited budget.
One note - Any rider caught giving grief to the Promoter, the Timers or the Starters of these events will be automatically disqualified from - not only the event - but the entire Series. So, do what ya always do, and just have fun with the Series - it's no big whoop, we're just out there having fun and getting some good fitness!!! (No no - we've never ever had a problem with getting grief - just wanted to state it so it will continue to just be a fun event for everyone involved!!). AND - Helmets are MANDATORY!
This Series is FREE - so come on out and take advantage of some, or all, of these Time Trials in Spring 2010! Although donations are always appreciated, they are NEVER necessary to enter these events - I just want y'all out there testing yourselves on your bicycles!!! Hope to see you out there - and I will have more details, maps and information as we get closer to the events.
R.A.C.E. - Rodney's Asinine Cycling Events
Friday Night Airport Criterium Results - March 26th, 2010............
CATEGORY "A" RESULTS FROM THE March 25th CHICO AIRPORT CRITERIUM:
1. Anthony Ferretti (20 points + 44 Prime Points + 2 = 66 points)
2. Scott Heather (16 points + 4 Prime Points + 2 = 22 points)
3. Brad Foster (14 points + 4 Prime Points + 2 = 20 points)
4. Gary Manwill (12 points + 2 = 14 points)
5. Shawn Hughes (10 points + 2 = 12 points)
6. Maggie Jones (8 points + 2 = 10 points)
CATEGORY "B" RESULTS FROM THE March 25th CHICO AIRPORT CRITERIUM:
1. Matt Davis (20 points + 34 Prime Points + 2 = 56 points)
2. Adam Thatcher (16 points + 6 Prime Points + 2 = 24 points)
3. Kris Blee (14 points + 2 = 16 points)
4. Mark Wolford (12 points + 2 = 14 points)
5. Jeff Dailey (10 points + 2 = 12 points)
6. Greg Watkins (8 points + 2 = 10 points)
7. Mike Crumm (6 points + 2 = 8 points)
8. Daniel Law (4 points + 2 = 6 points)
9. Matt Krekel (2 points + 2 = 4 points)
Matt Itamura (1 point + 2 = 3 points)
JJ Coughlin (1 point + 2 = 3 points)
David Klein (1 point + 2 = 3 points)
WOMEN'S CATEGORY RESULTS FROM THE March 25th CHICO AIRPORT CRITERIUM:
1. Laurie Teague (20 points + 2 = 22 points)
JUNIOR CATEGORY RESULTS FROM THE March 25th CHICO AIRPORT CRITERIUM:
1. David Watkins (20 points + 16 Prime Points + 2 = 38 points)
2. Liam Davis (20 points + 12 Prime Points + 2 = 34 points)
3. Aliya Traficante (20 points + 4 Prime Points + 2 = 26 points)
4. Ryan Neuman (16 points + 3 Prime Points + 2 = 21 points)
5. Chloe Davis (20 points + 4 Prime Points + 2 = 26 points)
6. Griffin Teague (16 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 20 points)
7. Davis Foster (14 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 18 points)
8. Caden Crumm (12 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 16 points)
9. Nate Dailey (10 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 14 points)
10. Alyssa Teague (16 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 20 points)
11. Kevin Schweninger (8 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 12 points)
12. Kaleb Traficante (6 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 10 points)
13. Braden Schweninger (4 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 8 points)
14. Brody Grout (2 points + 2 Prime Points + 2 = 6 points)
2010 SPRING CHICO AIRPORT CRITERIUM SERIES CURRENT OVERALL STANDINGS:
CATEGORY "A" OVERALL:
CATEGORY "A" OVERALL:
1. Anthony Ferretti 134 points
2. Kevin Speacht 86 points
3. Shawn Hughes 70 points
4. Scott Heather 68 points
5. David Albrecht 66 points
6. Charlie Pelton 31 points
7. Brad Foster 23 points
8. Paul McIntyre 18 points
8. Ryan Olson 18 points
8. Alex Blease 18 points
11. Jeff Galland 17 points
12. Mark Henry 16 points
13. Gary Manwill 14 points
13. Matt White 14 points
15. Maggie Jones 13 points
16. Mike Smith 12 points
16. Robin Van Valkenburgh 12 points
18. Ethan Black 8 points
19. Jeff Seyfried 6 points
19. James Plummer 6 points
19. Roy Steves 6 points
22. Jeff Ochs 5 points
23. Josh Rowe 3 points
24. Mike Cordova 3 points
25. Steve Vickery 3 points
CATEGORY "B" OVERALL:
1. Jon Keyzer 89 points
2. Mark Wolford 64 points
3. Matt Davis 56 points
4. Michael Dufresne 44 points
5. Mike Crumm 35 points
6. Kris Blee 32 points
7. Jeff Dailey 29 points
8. Colin Moakley 26 points
9. Adam Thatcher 24 points
9. Greg Watkins 24 points
9. Darren Reichel 24 points
12. Gary Manwill 22 points
12. Barry DeWitt 22 points
14. Matt Itamura 18 points
15. Evan LeVang 16 points
15. Frank Marinello 16 points
15. Samuel Bransky 16 points
18. Matthew Carlson 15 points
19. David Klein 14 points
20. Tom Murphy 13 points
21. Bill Travers 11 points
21. Jay Coughlin 11 points
23. Daniel Law 6 points
23. Kile Taylor 6 points
25. Matt Krekel 4 points
26. Mike Jessen 3 points
27. Steve Chollet 3 points
28. Skip Lees 3 points
29. Gus Ferrer 3 points
30. Matthew Foster 3 points
31. Greg Melton 3 points
32. Nathan Younie 3 points
33. Jim Mensching 3 points
34. Steve Kodad 3 points
35. Tony Mainz 3 points
36. Jonathan McCabe 3 points
37. Geoff Lawson 3 points
38. Rob Glatthaar 3 points
39. Ray Bransky 3 points
40. John Wiesinger 3 points
WOMEN'S CATEGORY OVERALL:
1. Sandra Barton 45 points
2. Joanne Gilchrist 37 points
3. Caryn Jones 33 points
4. Laurie Teague 22 points
5. Erica Sullivan 14 points
JUNIOR DUDES 12-16 OVERALL:
1. David Watkins 120 points
2. Griffin Teague 20 points
3. Jasper Travers 18 points
4. Aaron Altier 16 points
5. Owen Cross 14 points
JUNIOR LADIES 12-16 OVERALL:
1. Aliya Traficante 112 points
JUNIOR DUDES 11 & UNDER:
1. Ryan Neuman 113 points
2. Caden Crumm 80 points
3. Kaleb Traficante 66 points
4. Liam Davis 54 points
5. Dutch Wentland 22 points
6. Davis Foster 18 points
6. Ben Travers 18 points
6. Dominic Wentland 18 points
9. Nate Dailey 14 points
10. Kevin Schweninger 12 points
11. Braden Schweninger 8 points
12. Brody Grout 6 points
JUNIOR LADIES 11 & UNDER:
1. Chloe Davis 26 points
2. Alyssa Teague 20 points
2010 AIRPORT CRITERIUM SERIES INFORMATION:
After the great turnout at last year's Tuesday & Friday Night Chico Airport Criterium Series, we're going to be doing them again for 2010! For those curious, the definition of a "Criterium" is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criterium
This year, the Airport Criterium Series is being split into 2 Series:
"The 2010 Spring Airport Criterium Series" going from March 16th through June 29th
"The 2010 Summer Airport Criterium Series" going from July 2nd through October 8th
By doing it this way, you have two chances to take part in the Series Overall.....and change categories if you find yourself way out front in one Category, or off-the-back in another. After the Spring Series, the Race Director reserves the right to re-classify you for the Summer Series, if needed(for instance, if we have a "Hughes" scenario going on again this year, there will be an upgrade!! LOL).
This 1st Series starts up Tuesday, March 16th and ends on Tuesday, June 29th. The 2nd Series will start on Friday, July 2nd and will go through Friday, October 8th, 2010. Registration normally starts at 5:40pm - with the Category A & B event starting PROMPTLY at 6:00pm......and the Kids Only Event starting at 7:00pm. The Awards Ceremony for the Spring Criterium Series will be held in early July - at a location to be determined. The Awards Ceremony for the Summer Criterium Series will be held in mid-October - again, at a location to be determined(Madison Bear Garden or one of the local bicycle shops is a likely spot!).
How does it work???
Okay, here are a few notes for this year's Airport "Crit" Series:
There will be 2 distinct racing times this year at each event, as we had last year - 6pm & 7pm. 6:00pm will be used for Category "A"(faster riders) & Category "B"..........while 7:00pm will be used for Kids Only Races(normally under the age of 16 - last year, we had kids ranging in age from 5 to 15 - and at times during the summer months, the kids outnumbered the Cat. A & B groups!!). Mentors/adults may also ride in the Kids Only races - and are strongly encouraged to ride/teach them....and keep an eye on these young up & coming racers!! Racers MUST sign in at the registration table prior to the start of their event.
1. We will be using primarily 1 course for the Criteriums this year, our standard Tuesday/Friday Night Criterium course starting/finishing at Convair Avenue - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Chico-Airport-Tuesday-Night-Crit-Course. There MAY be some days where we'll use the longer 1-Mile Criterium Course on the north end of the Chico Airport......but those will be few and far between. One note - it is VERY unlikely that we will be holding Criteriums on the weekends this year. Last year, the turnout for weekend Criteriums was very low.....but Tuesday and Friday nights were off-the-hook!! I'm looking at holding more mountain bike events on the weekends this year too, with cyclocross events also starting up in early September.
2. ALL riders must sign in this year - There will be a small table on the sidewalk at the Start/Finish location on Convair Avenue - just sign in at the table and you are good-to-go! No entry fee and no license required. Sign-ins start at 5:40pm - the racing action starts at 6:00pm for As & Bs, and 7:00pm for the Kids Races. We usually end Category A & B events by 6:55pm.....and end the Kids Only Races by 7:30pm. RAIN AND WET PAVEMENT WILL ALWAYS CANCEL THE CRITERIUMS! In addition, in 2008, we had some tremendous smoke from the Humboldt Fire in this area......which, in turn, would also cancel the Criteriums due to hazardous air quality. And, finally, the Race Director plans to go on vacation this year with his wife, so no Criteriums will be held during vacation days(sorry....but some things are more important than the Crits. :-).
3. The Category "B" races normally go for 45 minutes PLUS 3 laps.........while the Category "A" races go for 50 minutes PLUS 3 laps. Kids Races usually go for 20 to 25 Minutes PLUS 3 laps, if daylight allows. There can be anywhere from 1 to 15+ Primes in the Airport Criteriums......just depends on the mood of the Dictator.....er......I mean, Director. ;) The new Bull Bell(thanks to Mark Wolford and family!!) will be utilized to announce Primes - along with me screaming at you, as usual. :)
---So, after 45 minutes in the Category "B" race, I will call out "3 laps to go!!!", then 2, then 1 to go. Category B Riders - Remember, once you finish your race, you MUST vacate the course immediately - the Category A Riders are still out there racing for another 5 minutes, and we must have the course cleared. Any rider NOT clearing the course in a timely manner will be DQ'd. Also, no warming up on the course while a race is in progress. We want y'all to have a safe and fun time out there, so please do your best to be careful, aware and looking out for your fellow riders!!
4. Helmets are absolutely MANDATORY! So, please....please.....wear your helmet! Please!! No helmet = no race.....sorry.
5. All are welcome - you don't have to do the Series - just come on out and give this Criterium training/riding a shot! It's amazing what kind of workout you can get in during a 45 to 60 minute practice event!! Or just come out to watch - we had lots of spectators out there last year!
6. Points are used to calculate the Overall Standings in the Series. The point breakdown for each Criterium has changed this year, and will be as follows: 20-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1-1-1, with an additional 2 points being given to each participant at each event. So, 20 points goes to the winner, 16 points goes to 2nd place, 14 points goes to 3rd place and so on.........in addition to 2 more points just for doing the event. The rider with the MOST points at the end of the Series wins the Overall Title - and the Chico Airport Series Championship Trophy, plus whatever goodies we can give you. Also, Prime points will be given out during each of the Crits - these are just lap prizes......but in this case, the prizes are points. We will also be having some product Primes out there this year! Primes are normally worth anywhere between 1 point and 10 points.......and everything in between. There may also be Multi-PLACE Primes: If I call a 3-Place Prime, the Prime Points go 3-deep........say, 6 points for 1st, 4 points for 2nd and 2 points for 3rd. If I call a 6-point 3-Place Prime, the previous example would be the formula used(6 for 1st, 4 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd). ALSO - Some races will be classified as DOUBLE-POINT races, and one or two may be TRIPLE-POINT races.......which means, the finishing points(and Prime Points) are doubled and tripled, respectively.
****One Note: We may use different formats for some of the Criteriums......Devil Takes The Hindmost(aka - Miss And Out) & Points Races are likely events to be used off and on during the season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points_race and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_and_Out . In addition, aspects of EACH of these track racing events MAY appear at any Criterium(at some point during the race, the Devil may make an appearance......same with Points Races......and you can bet that there will be at least one event that has Prime Points every single lap). Free lap rule is in effect - within reason.
7. Last year, we had just two categories during the 6pm races - Category A(faster riders) and Category B - and one main category for the 7pm races.....KIDS races. However, the Series itself has even more Trophy Categories, including:
In Category "A":
--Men's Masters 45+
In Category "B":
--Men's Masters 50+
In Kids Races:
--Dudes 11 & Under
--Ladies 11 & Under
--Dudes 12 to 16
--Ladies 12 to 16
These are the Categories which all qualify for a Series Championship Trophy. If nobody - or very few folks are in one category - we may eliminate it and add an additional category where the numbers allow it. If weeks go by and nobody enters a particular category, it's a certainty that it will be eliminated as a category. On the other hand, if suddenly we have a slew of 8-year olds racing the Kids Races, you can be fairly certain that that Category will be added(The 8-Year-Old Junior Category!). As usual, sandbaggers are strongly discouraged ( A Sandbagger would be a Category "A" rider entering a Category "B" event). Results for each of the Criterium events will be sent out within 24 hours after completion, as well as the updated Standings in the Chico Airport Criterium Series - and e-mailed to the various cycling lists, as well as posted on Facebook, Twitter and Chico Bike dot com. Video and photos of the event are usually posted on Flickr within 24 hours after the completion of the event. In addition, there will be a 24-hour protest period to verify and update the results, if needed.
8. Although donations to put on these events are always very appreciated and accepted, this Series is FREE - so come on out and take advantage of some, or all, of these Criteriums in 2010!
9. The Race Director reserves the right to disqualify (DQ) any rider for unsafe riding or unsportsmanlike conduct at ANY time. Also, PLEASE - NO colorful language will be used out there - especially with the little kids around watching the races(we have kids out there from ages 2 to 12 watching the racing action)!! ANY rider breaking these rules can be subject to Disqualification from - not only the race - but from the entire Series. So, please - just do what ya always do and just be cool!!!!
10. Finally, remember - these Criterium events are essentially for practice and exercise - we have fun out there and get a great little workout in, and we get to work on some quality cycling skills. But, overall, they're no big whoop....no World Championship/Olympic medals or million dollar contracts on the line. So, with that in mind, just treat 'em as such - a good training event to try some new things, gain some good fitness, get some experience.....and maybe even get into a "real" sanctioned Criterium at some point in time(they are held ALL over northern California every season). Or not. Just have fun with it!! We'll have trophies and hopefully some prizes for the Series winners - and definitely loads of fun....and pain and suffering. ;) But remember - it's all in good fun!
Hope to see you out there!!
R.A.C.E. - Rodney's Agonizing Cycling Events